On the 9th October 1928 the Derbyshire County (Flat Green) Bowling Association
was Formed.The President for the first two years was The Hon.Marquis of Hartington.
For its motto the Association had "Bene Societas" - Good Fellowship.
The English Bowling Federation was formed in 1945, although the grass roots of
the Federation may well be traced back some 53 years earlier to the North-East of
England, at which time the Northumberland and Durham Bowling Association was formed
when four Newcastle Public Park Clubs formed an alliance adapting rules which differed
from the stronger and more popular EBA.
News of the "breakaway" spread to the East Midlands, and the less stringent ' Laws
of the Game' with regard to the condition of bowling greens - the use of ditches
and banks was not compulsory - in effect any reasonable grassed and level area was
considered suitable - and this, as well as a flexibility in hours of play was a boon
to a work force then working much longer hours than is the case today.
In 1925 Lincolnshire formed an Association, and in Norfolk the game caught on with
many public houses providing greens, rather as the Crown Green code had done some
thirty or more years earlier, and in 1926 Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and Norfolk
formed the Midland and East Anglian Bowling Association, and it can reasonably be
assumed that from this union the EBF of today was fathered.
Interest spread and in 1929 Northamptonshire, Derbyshire and Suffolk came into the
fold to be followed by first Durham and then, in 1936, by their northern neighbors
Northumberland. In 1945 this amalgamation of Counties took the title by which today’s
English Bowling Federation is instantly recognisable.